Ok parents- you remember when your little one was really little and you dressed them up just so? They were all matching and coordinated in their overalls or tutus and everyone would “Oooo” and “Ahhh” over every little detail? You even bought the socks that resembled ballet slippers or sneakers. Then you would ever so carefully put those matching socks in a lingerie bag in the wash with all of their delicate clothes and they would come out safely on the other side of the dryer to be worn again? Yea. Those days are long gone in my house. But some sanity saving child (who deserves a million kudos) came along and declared that socks were “cool” when mismatched! The audacity, the nerve, the brilliance!!!
That idea spread like wild fire- stores caught on and intentionally sell them this way now! So I am making a desperate plea before the snow fly’s…
Let’s make mismatched gloves a thing!
The Lost and Found section of your school is cheering us on!
And while we’re at it, here is a list of other things I would like to declare as “cool” enough to mismatch!
- Sneakers- why not? A mismatched pair is always the only one available when the bus is right outside.
- Dinner vegetables- those of you that can get away with one bag or can per dinner can skip this but for some of us (me!) who need at least two – can’t our peas and carrots get along?
- Bedsheets (gasp) NOPE. Never mind. I can’t bring myself to do it. I have a matching bed sheet issue, but now that it’s out there, I promise to actively avoid judging you for whatever sheets you use 😉
- Shampoo and Conditioner! Walk on the wild side! Try the flat hair shampoo and the curly conditioner, try two different brands, two different scents, mix it up in there!
- Toys! Who says PJ Masks and Donald Duck can’t be friends? And why can’t they play in your Little People school bus?
Just hear me out- imagine a tomorrow where none of these things need to match and there is excitement over the idea of such utter chaos- how happy we could be!
Who’s with me? Tell me some things in the comments you wish you didn’t have to match up!